Module VI
EXPLAIN:
I never thought I would be reading about the types of phase transitions… but it was definitely interesting to see that melting argon ice can simultaneously show the transition from solid to liquid to gas.
Glenn Shaw’s findings as noted in “Arctic Haze” were very eye opening… for me as well as for him evidently. The comparison of his initial assumption about getting data from a “pristine atmosphere” and the reality of his actual findings is more than a bit alarming. Pollution is definitely a “transnational problem”.
EXTEND:
I agree with the statement that the atmosphere is “the best example of how on Earth everything is connected.” It is a resource that we often abuse. Many of the resources this week give very good visuals for my students of just how connected we are around the world. I look forward to using them with my students to create discussion and hopefully build awareness. We are fortunate to be next door to the Alaska Challenger Learning Center. The resources will be helpful as we prepare for our annual missions.
~ Vertical Structure of the Atmosphere
~ Compare and Contrast Warm and Cold Air Fronts
~ Reveal Earth’s Atmosphere (It’s pretty amazing that we are under 14 lbs of pressure per square inch from the atmosphere.)
Using Google Earth with the “timeline” (go to View, then Historical Imagery) can give a perspective on the changes that are taking place. For my school’s location (Kenai, Alaska), the imagery is available back to Dec. 1971. I’m not sure if that is the case for all areas. It is definitely worth checking out…. and discussing what some of the reasons might be for the changes.
EVALUATE:
I look forward to using many of the resources in this unit in conjunction with participation in the NASA and ISS (International Space Station) program "EarthKAM". If you have not explored this program, I would encourage you to do so. As a brief explanation… your class teams with NASA and other agencies to have your students send photo requests to the ISS for specific locations on Earth at specific times, and at specific latitudes and longitudes. While doing so, students must coordinate where the ISS will be at a particular time, whether the location will be in darkness or light, and what the weather conditions might be. Many resources are available for support… and then the images taken (once accepted) will be posted on the EarthKAM website for students and their families to view. You can also print out the student images… which has always been a hit. The missions usually last 3-4 days… so there is plenty of opportunity for success. Best of all, there is no cost for participation in the program.
![]() |
| Aracar Volcano, Andes Mtns, Argentina near Chile’s border The above photo is courtesy of EarthKAM |
I also look forward to doing some more research on biomagnifications as mentioned in “Contaminants in the Arctic Food Chain”.
Colleagues:
It sounds like Amy P.'s students are making some good "real life" connections, and her nitrogen cycle connection is a good example. Alison L. and I are both fortunate to have SmartBoards in our room. Being able to have and move the world with our fingertips in Google Earth (and use the large format) is wonderful. I can relate to Tommy G. having technology challenges… whether you are rural or urban. Technology serves us well, opens doors, but can also keep us very humble.

I’m excited that Cheryl can use this information to prepare her students for their visit to the Challenger Learning Center! Even though they are “space” missions, there are a lot of earth science lessons embedded in them. I was also excited to see that she is participating in EarthKam. What a great way to give students a global perspective. The same goes for being able to compare historical images on Google Earth – I love that feature!
ReplyDeleteCheryl,
ReplyDeleteI missed the historical photos option in Google Earth! Thanks for mentioning it, it is awesome.
Thank you for the suggestion of using the Timeline on Google Earth. That is something to try. I wonder how far they go back on Old Harbor?
ReplyDelete