Week 5
EXPLAIN:
![]() |
| Guyot Source: (Wikipedia) |
I noted in the diagram “Features of the Ocean Floor” a land feature noted as a guyot. This is not a term I had come across previously so further research indicated that “A guyot /ɡiˈoː/, also known as a tablemount, is an isolated underwater volcanic mountain…, with a flat top over 200 meters (660 feet) below the surface of the sea. The diameters of these flat summits can exceed 10 km (6 miles).” (Wikipedia)
I was also struck by the fact that if the polar ice caps melted, the sea levels around the world could rise by 500-600 feet. This would mean that approx. 85% to 90% of the Earth’s surface would be covered with water. (Save the Sea) Perhaps there is potential for “Waterworld”…
![]() |
| Source: Google Images |
EXTEND:
I wonder about the future of the resources of the ocean and human impact. Currently, there is a project under development by U.K. designer Phil Pauley. The project is entitled “Sub-Biosphere 2”. It has the potential as a muli-tiered community both above and below the water line.
![]() |
| Source: Sub Biosphere 2 |
The statement was made that “If all the gold suspended in the world’s seawater were mined, each person on Earth could have about 9 pounds of gold.” (Save the Sea) Based on the current gold price (as of Nov. 7, 2010) of $1,389 per oz, there is a potential of $210,016 for every man, woman and child on Earth. ($1,389.05 x 16 oz x 9 lbs = $210,016 per person on Earth) This could be a good debate issue for the classroom, just as we are facing challenges around the globe for resources and perceptions of entitlement.
I was not aware of the role of plankton in transporting carbon dioxide. Below is some additional information from the Global Development Research Center that I would like to share with my students.
“Rather like a pump, plankton transport gases and nutrients from the ocean surface to the deep. Their role in the carbon cycle is quite different from that of trees and other land plants, which actually absorb CO2 and serve as a storehouse, or "sink", of carbon. Instead, ocean life absorbs CO2 during photosynthesis and, while most of the gas escapes within about a year, some of it is transported down into the deep ocean via dead plants, body parts, faeces, and other sinking materials. The CO2 is then released into the water as the materials decay, and most of it becomes absorbed in the sea-water by combining chemically with water molecules (H2O). Although a small but possibly significant percentage of the sinking organic material becomes buried in the ocean sediment, most of the dissolved carbon dioxide is eventually returned to the surface via ocean currents - but this can take centuries or millennia.”
EVALUATE:
Having a real sense of the difference in the temperatures and climates at various latitudes can be a challenge for Alaska students. I grew up in CA, OR and WA. I was able to experience first hand the differences when my family visited relatives that lived in the various latitudes along the continental West Coast. The reality is that many Alaska students (whether urban or rural) do not experience climates outside of Alaska due to the high expense and challenges of travel. Posing the question to them of why we have long hours of daylight but lower overall temperatures during the various seasons would be a good activity for some problem solving, research and hypothesizing. Exploring the “Angle of Incidence” concepts can be a cross curricular activity with value. An additional possible resource might be “Refracted Light: The Normal, Angle of Incidence, Angle of Refraction, Critical Angle”
Some additional resources I found are:
- Thermohaline Ocean Circulation video
- Corioulis Effect --
Atmospheric Motion: Corioulis Effect
- Corioulis Effect -- “What is an Ocean Current?”
Three Colleagues:
I agree with Martha’s statement about the resources being invaluable for students and teachers alike. Janet’s statement about humans craving "cataclysmic events" could be very accurate. We often think "it won't happen to us"... I didn’t realize initially that it was Cheryl/me (ALISON Kenai) viewing the blog of Cheryl W. (ALISON Palmer). We have worked on ALISON (through the UAF Geophysical Institute) together over the years and attended workshops together. Another fun project ... and I always enjoy her insights.



You're thoughts on gold made me chuckle. After I read that bit about the amount of gold in the ocean I felt the need to inform my class (we had been looking at the gold rushes in AK in the late 1800s). It led to an interesting conversation about why gold is worth anything anyway. You're calculations may be a topic of conversation in my classes tomorrow. Thanks!
ReplyDeleteTyler
ReplyDeleteI too have heard about gold being in the water column. There is also a large amount of silver. I sue those stats to make my kids sit up and take notice when I talk about resource extraction. Mabye one of them will figure out how to get it...
The guyot is way cool. I need to check this out!
ReplyDeleteThe information from Global Development Research Center about plankton’s role in the transporting carbon dioxide is very interesting. The website Save the Sea provides some interesting information about the ocean and undersea geology, like volcanic activity. This could be useful in exploration or lesson planning. Thanks! It’s pretty wild that if the polar ice caps melted, the sea levels around the world could rise by 500-600 feet. This would mean that approx. 85% to 90% of the Earth’s surface would be covered with water. Wow.
ReplyDelete